Washington DC top tourist attractions city travel maps
Map of top 10 attractions in Washington DC
The typical top ten attractions are listed below. You can find the detailed locations of these places on the maps above.
- White House - The area surrounding the official residence of the US President is filled with grand architecture and political history, and the views from the Ellipse lawn are breathtaking.
- U.S. Capitol - The famous dome of the nation's seat of government is one of the largest in the world.
- Washington Monument - One of the most enduring images of Washington, this 555-ft (170-m) marble obelisk can be seen from all over the city.
- National Gallery of Art- This superb gallery houses paintings and other works of art, such as this terracotta bust of Lorenzo de' Medici, that chronicle the history of art from the Middle Ages to the 20th century.
- National Air & Space Museum - Washington's most popular museum has exhibits from aviation and space history, including the Wright Brothers' first airborne plane and the Apollo 14 space module.
- Lincoln Memorial - This emotive and inspirational marble figure has often been the focus of civil rights protests.
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial - When visiting this dramatic memorial your will be confronted by a sobering list of names of over 60,000 servicemen on the V-shaped granite walls.
- National Museum of American History - The National Museum of American History preserves a collection of artifacts from the nation's past.
- National Museum of Natural History - The National Museum of Natural History, which opened in 1910, preserves artifacts from the earth's diverse cultures and collects samples of fossils and living creatures from land and sea.
- Supreme Court - Admire the Neoclassical façade of highest court in the land.
What are some interesting facts about Washington DC?
The Capitol Building is the 4th tallest masonry dome in the world, surpassed by only St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, St. Paul's Cathedral in London and St. Issac's Cathedral in St. Petersburg.
The United States Capitol has its own underground subway line that connects the Capitol to the House and Senate office buildings.
If you like to make a visit in Washington DC, you may come to the most popular museum in the city. It is called as Smithsonian Institute's National Air & Space Museum. Since its first public opening, this museum can attract more than 219 million visitors.
Some claim that the back of Abraham Lincoln's head of the statue at the Lincoln Memorial is actually is a face of Confederate General Robert E. Lee.
Many people aren't aware that the Lincoln Memorial is where Martin Luther King Jr. made his 'I Have a Dream' speech in 1963.
When it was completed in 1884, the Washington Monument was the tallest structure in the world. It was soon passed by the Eiffel Tower, and numerous other buildings have eclipsed it since then. At 555 feet, the obelisk remains the tallest object in DC.
Every time a soldier is buried, an Arlington Lady is present. There are about 65 Arlington Ladies, and since 1973, the Arlington Ladies have ensured that no Soldier is ever buried alone.
2021, 2022, 2023, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, download, print, printable, free, detailed, aerial, bird's eye, guide, map, plan, planner, travel, sightseeing, visit, trip, tour, tourist, what to do, where to go, things to do, must see, top attractions, points of interest, places, sites, sights, buildings, spots, destinations, locations, landmark, museum, in a week, in 3 days, one day, city, route, bus, kids, children, top 10, top ten, popular, famous, interesting, highlights, metro, subway, underground, tube